It’s official. I”m out!!
The Christian Chronicle (a paper to which I contributed last month) is running an article noting that my new congregation, Redwood Church, has been omitted from the 2009 edition of The Churches of Christ in the Unites States.
The reason: Redwood (along with Farmer’s Branch and Richland Hills) has at least one instrumental worship service of Sunday morning. In the words of my friend, Kraig Martin; “This is stupid.”
I couldn’t have said it better myself.
Though it is stupid, I do have some questions about my newfound “unchurchofchristiness:”
1. Do I still have to pay all my ACU student loans?
2. Am I disfellowshiped? And if so, who has the power to do it?
3. Does anyone use that directory anymore, or do most folks simply look up churches on the internet?
4. Should I get together with Chris Seidman, Rick Atchley and the other church’s minsters to commiserate or celebrate? I say celebrate. Let’s get a tee time fellas.
5. Do the compiler’s of the book believe the churches of Christ (the little “c” is deliberate) can live with fewer members. I can imagine that meeting. “Hey guys, we’re a part of a dwindling movement. Let’s do our share to dwindle it some more.”
At any rate, it is apparent that some people have no bigger fish to fry. I do. I have to get prepared to pastor a church with a heart for the poor, a love for their city, and a desire to bring people from darkness to light, even if that means using a guitar.